4 Steps for Filing a Wrongful Termination Lawsuit

4 Steps for Filing a Wrongful Termination Lawsuit

4 Steps for Filing a Wrongful Termination LawsuitIf you have good reason to believe that you were wrongly dismissed from your job, then you may be able to make a successful case for financial compensation. When considering whether to file a lawsuit, it'll be worth consulting a lawyer who offers expertise in this field. Here's a look at the steps for filing a wrongful termination suit.

Collect Evidence

As soon as you are fired---or if you suspect you are about to be wrongly fired---you should collect as much documentation as you possibly can to help prove that your termination was unlawful. There are several documents that could be useful, such as employment contracts, union contracts, and performance reviews. If any discriminatory or disparaging comments have been directed at you, then you'll definitely want to note them with as much detail as possible. Because the claim needs to be filed as quickly as possible after your termination, it's best to gather these documents promptly and then share them with your lawyer.

Hire the Right Lawyer

For a wrongful termination suit, you don't want to hire any old lawyer who says they can take on the case. Rather, you'll want to go with an attorney who offers expertise in this field and will give you the best chance possible at maximum compensation.

Formally File Complaint

After you provide the pertinent information, your lawyer will make the filing on your behalf. It's at this point that notice will be served to your former employer.

Prove that Your Firing Was Illegal

During what is commonly known as the "discovery process," both sides will present documents that are pertinent to the case. As part of this process, parties may be deposed under oath. Unless there is an agreement reached through arbitration, the lawsuit will then move forward to trial.

If you need a wrongful termination lawyer, be sure to get in touch with a reputable specialist. For a wrongful termination lawyer in Reno, Sparks, and Carson City, NV, contact The Law Offices of Kenneth Lyon III at (775) 277-6392. The Law Offices of Kenneth Lyon III also specializes in personal injury lawsuits in Reno and Carson City, NV. Feel free to contact The Law Offices of Kenneth Lyon III for a free case evaluation in Reno!

Law Offices Of Kenneth E. Lyon III Blog
Posted: August 27, 2020

Written and Published By MORBiZ